Based in Milan, Italy
FOTONICA is a first-person game about running, jumping, sense of speed, and discovery. The key is timing, the goal is exploring and traveling flawlessly through the environment. The setting is an abstract – mainly duotone – outlined world, with a look reminiscent of geometrical abstractions and the 3D low-poly gaming era. The mobile version sports fully one-handed controls: hold your finger down to run, release to jump, hold in mid-air to dive and land.
Originally prototyped for the “A Game By its Cover” competition on the TIGSource forums, FOTONICA is a one-button first-person runner, the first of its kind. Initially released for PC and MAC in 2011, the game lives now in its best and purest form on mobile devices with much more content. The project was selected for its hypnotizing vector graphics and minimal soundtrack at the 54th Venice Biennial of Art in 2011, and many other exhibitions and events during the years (Fantastic Arcade, Eurogamer Expo Indie Games Arcade, BYOB, Delta Berlin, etc).
- 7 Levels to explore and master.
- Plus 3 different endless levels to compete for high-scores.
- Two-player split-screen multiplayer mode on the same device!
- 18 Achievements to unlock, plus game stats.
- Online rankings.
- Beautiful, smooth, and unique vector-style graphics.
- Electronic music by Michael Manning, Nicolò Sala, and legendary composer Baiyon.
- 2 Difficulty settings to let you play an even faster version of FOTONICA.
- Play in landscape or portrait mode.
- No ads, no in-app purchases.
- Record and share replays of your best runs.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Fantastic Arcade Spotlight Game 2014" Austin, TX
- "54th Venice Art Biennale Selection" Venice, Italy
- "EuroGamer Expo Indie Games Arcade Selection" London, UK
- "Brave New Games - Most Innovative Game Winner" Naples, Italy
- "It's such a cool experience, is masterfully crafted, and really rewards playing it again and again."
- Carter Dotson, toucharcade.com
- "You've experienced nothing like FOTONICA"
- Craig Grannell, pocketgamer.co.uk
- "Whichever mode you pick, FOTONICA tests you but keeps you wanting to return for more."
- Jennifer Allen, 148apps.com
- "[8/10] Usain Bolt trapped in a feverish Tron daydream"
- Kristan Reed, eurogamer.net
- "Striking and instantly impressive"
- Ben Kuchera, arstechnica.com
- "A veritable black hole to lose yourself in"
- Emerson Rosenthal, thecreatorsproject.com
- "As good as competitive, hold-your-breath-every-second, first-person racing gets"
- Chris Priestman, pocketgamer.co.uk
- "[8/10] The best way to kill time while waiting for your goat to arrive"
- Tom, calmdowntom.com
- ""this one button game has a lot more mileage than you might expect""
- Nathan Meunier, gamepro.com
- "a game about running really fast"
- Michael Rose, indiegames.com
- "You're taking a leap of faith with each jump and might find yourself holding your breath as you soar through the digital ether"
- Evan Narcisse, ifc.com
- "Pure gaming bliss"
- Ian Fisher, shogungamer.com
- "It’s a remarkable game, and unlike anything else I’ve played"
- John Walker, rockpapershotgun.com
- "Fotonica is definitely one game that needs to be installed on your favorite device"
- Tweet, modojo.com
- "Stunning, original and plain weird (35 best games on Android)
- Craig Grannell, stuff.tv
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
REQUEST PRESS COPY THROUGH DISTRIBUTE()
This is our preferred way to distribute free copies to press, youtubers, and bloggers beta.dodistribute.com.
Available from santaragione.bandcamp.com.
About Santa Ragione
Santa Ragione is an Italian micro game design studio founded by Pietro Righi Riva and Nicolò Tedeschi in 2010, creators of FOTONICA, MirrorMoon EP, and Wheels of Aurelia. Santa Ragione’s games focus on achieving a visceral response from the player, whether through the desolate landscapes of MirrorMoon EP, the uncompromising, vertigo-inducing speeds of FOTONICA, or the controversial politics in Wheels of Aurelia. The studio has a unique, experimental approach to accessibility that encourages exploration and personal interpretation, to achieve surprising depth. Santa Ragione’s inspiration comes equally from evocative electronica and contemporary art, to strive and stand out stylistically and continue the tradition of Italian design.
More information on Santa Ragione, our logo & relevant media are available here.
FOTONICA for Mobile Credits
Pietro Righi Riva
Additional Programing / Mobile ports
Nicolò Sala, Michael Manning, Baiyon / Tomohisa Kuramitsu